My "Riding with Theodore Roosevelt" article published in Equus April 2018

I am so excited.  My copy just arrived in the mail.  To quote myself:

"Many of Roosevelt’s writings are sprinkled with insights into his approach to training horses and his observations about the value of riding, and I was struck by how “modern” his methods seemed to be, even by current standards. The term “natural horsemanship” may not have become prominent until the 1980s, but some of the roots of the methodology extend all the way back to Xenophon in the fourth century B.C., and probably beyond. Here’s a selection of Roosevelt’s observations and insights---drawn, unless otherwise noted, from Theodore Roosevelt: An Autobiography ---that still have some resonance in modern times."

The editors of Equus are wonderful to work with and illustrated the article with lots of photos of Roosevelt and his horses.  I have subscribed to Equus for years to read about the latest in equine medical treatment, behavioral research, and historical studies.  I highly recommend this magazine.

And I would like to point out that this is the second time my horse Blessi has been mentioned in Equus in the past six months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Comment - Retribution of the Deadwooders

  There is a twitter posting about the newly published Undead , a collection of horror short stories from Planispher Q publishers.  My "...